PDA

View Full Version : F4I Problems, Running Power Commander, Help

james17
06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
We've got an older car we use for development and have been having a weird issue with it. It was ok until we redid the cooling system testing new ideas, it cools better now most of the time. We have always had computer gremlins, like the car would run ok, you would shut it off, and it would run better or worse, but this is more severe.

The car runs and starts ok, but as soon as it gets up to temp at seemingly randomn times the motor will cut out sharply, the tach will drop to zero, and then everything will come back on sharply, all in the span of a second or less. The temp also seems to go up as this happens, the header now glows but never did before and it spits fire occasionally.

We are running a power commander, which is a piggy back on the stock F4I ECU. Were thinking maybe a sensor is bad or the PC is bad, weve run diffrent ECUs and gauge cluster but have had no change, any ideas ???

james17
06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
We've got an older car we use for development and have been having a weird issue with it. It was ok until we redid the cooling system testing new ideas, it cools better now most of the time. We have always had computer gremlins, like the car would run ok, you would shut it off, and it would run better or worse, but this is more severe.

The car runs and starts ok, but as soon as it gets up to temp at seemingly randomn times the motor will cut out sharply, the tach will drop to zero, and then everything will come back on sharply, all in the span of a second or less. The temp also seems to go up as this happens, the header now glows but never did before and it spits fire occasionally.

We are running a power commander, which is a piggy back on the stock F4I ECU. Were thinking maybe a sensor is bad or the PC is bad, weve run diffrent ECUs and gauge cluster but have had no change, any ideas ???

fsae_alum
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Have you guys tried to bypass the power commander and see what it does? It's just wired in series with the main harness (or at least it was on the 02 car). In the past it was as simple as unplugging 2 sets of harness connectors and plugging them back together minus the power commander in line.

Oh yeah....congrats on your sponsorship...now get to work, no excuses!! http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif