PDA

View Full Version : r6 and chopping the oil pan

dartmouth01
12-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

I've searched the boards and haven't seen any posst about chopping some of the oil pan off of an r6 in order to lower the engine some more, though there is alot of mention of doing this to CBRs. Anyone here ever do that for their r6, and can tell me how much you chopped, and at what angle your engine is at? The rutgers guys who were next to us in the paddock at the last detroit comp had done it, so I know some teams do it.

Thanks!

Gavin
12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
not all that much science here, just some good old logic... our engine guy who did this first got the idea out of some racing mag a few years back, and we just tweaked it a little. The amount we lowered it was basically so that the front pan bolt heads are just slightly higher than the pan bottom. I think this works out to be around 1.5". We tried to keep the angle of the engine close to stock, but if you go a couple degrees either way, it shouldn't matter all that much. we have a jig that we bolt the pan too that holds it at the right angle so we can mill it down. be careful here, as we knocked a big chunk out of the cast pan by getting a little too aggressive. once you have it down, trace it on a sheet of Al sheet. we use 1/8" i think, but use logic here depending on if it may scrape. cut it out and weld her up. you also need to shorten the oil pick up an equivlant amount and that copper tube that comes down. other than that, you just need to fab up some baffles. just logic this out also, figure out how you want the oil to flow around the pick up. ok, now here is you list of WARNINGS. you can learn from our mistakes. 1)welding dirty cast AL sucks. if you dont have a new pan or a very good welder have a pro do this. 2) we put in the stock amount of oil. this seems to be at an ok level in the engine and equates to almost over flowing when you take out the dipstick. we ran a little low one day and we now have a "lightened" block.

overall, take your time and think it out, not all that tough.

Gavin
Rutgers Formula Racing

dartmouth01
12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks a bunch! We are considering alternatives to a dry sump, since it doesn't look like our plans for one are going to materialze for this year, perhaps next year.

Dumb question maybe, but what do you mean by a "lightened" block?

GTmule
12-02-2004, 08:11 PM
It's reference to holes cause by rods and such flying about.

It blowed up.

Broderick
12-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Yeah lightened meant a rod thru the block. It still ran afterward thought.

Ryan B.
RFR

Rob Davies
12-03-2004, 04:29 PM
its kind of messy to chop the bottom off the stock sump.

We manufactured a brand new one from sheet aluminium welded to cnc'd aluminium plate with all the required holes to fit

Ill get some pics tomorrow