PDA

View Full Version : Clutch shifter combo

Moke
09-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Anybody out there using a clutch cable attached directly to the shifter lever? We're wondering if you have a way to shift from 1st to neutral without having to stall. Have seen GT do this, could anybody there explain it to us.

Moke
09-27-2004, 04:18 AM
Anybody out there using a clutch cable attached directly to the shifter lever? We're wondering if you have a way to shift from 1st to neutral without having to stall. Have seen GT do this, could anybody there explain it to us.

Andy Pate
09-27-2004, 06:46 AM
What kind of engine are you using???, i have come up with a prototypre design to be used with the CBR 600 F4i engine (Gear order: 1st > Neutral > 2nd > 3rd > 4th) so it is possible to just select neutral. Dunno if this helps, probably not, sorry

Binghamton FSAE
09-27-2004, 07:05 AM
If you wouldn't mind sharing those plans, I would be very grateful. We're using a CBR 600, and plan on putting the clutch on the shift knob. You can email it to me @ fsae@binghamton.edu if you don't want to share your design i completly understand. Thanks for your help.

-Jeff Borack

Jeffrey
09-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Me too, if you wouldn´t mind sharing it, we are studing that possivility... you can email it to jmasi@supercable.net.ve.

if you don´t wanna share it, thats ok is your design.. thanks

Andy Pate
09-28-2004, 01:33 AM
I will put together something in the next few days, the actual design concept is very simple so i dont mind sharing that. The difficult part is getting dimensions of the design right so that:

1) The amount of leverage is high enough for easy actuation.

2) The amount of travel isnt too great (Slow gear change) or too small (lots of stallling when trying to pull away).

Since leverage and travel are inversly proportional to each other, getting the right combination is a little difficult. I would reccomend using a spread sheet to optimise this, I`ll include a screen shot of mine but not the actual spreadsheet.

BIG G
10-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Currently designing paddle shift system with manual back-up for formula student, Yamaha r6 engine with straight sequential gear shift N>1>2>3>4>5>6.. designed simple electro-pneumatic circuit and using plc programmer to control circuit and blip ignition coil, would be very grateful for any info. what so ever.

PatClarke
10-25-2004, 03:09 AM
Big G,
Read the rules regarding your throttle blipper.
PDR

woollymoof
10-25-2004, 03:46 AM
Big G,

If you mean blip throttle (not ignition coil) then Suddenlee is right, its illegal. If you mean cut the ignition on up changes, you can do this with a signal from your paddle to your ECU, if it has that function.

B Lewis @ PE Engine Management
10-25-2004, 04:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIG G:
Currently designing paddle shift system with manual back-up for formula student, Yamaha r6 engine with straight sequential gear shift N&gt;1&gt;2&gt;3&gt;4&gt;5&gt;6.. designed simple electro-pneumatic circuit and using plc programmer to control circuit and blip ignition coil, would be very grateful for any info. what so ever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Big G,

My biggest reccomendation having designed lots of engine related control hardware/software, is to not underestimate the amount of design time and energy it will take to develop a "clean" system that is not bothered by engine noise and dirty power supplies. Be sure to leave plenty of time in between getting something working on the bench and actually implementing the design. Depending on implementation, you may have to go to the extremes of burning multi-layer boards for noise suppression.

Contact me offline with your design if you want some specific pointers. Good luck!!

BIG G
10-25-2004, 06:02 AM
Cheers brian,
At the moment we are using last years ecu on which we cannot blip the ignition so I have to control that using a timer on a PLC programmer, mainly because of lack of funds, and so the chances of being able to buy a complete management system are bleak at this moment in time. Will contact you offline for other info. though.

Andy Pate
10-25-2004, 12:50 PM
How much development/testing time does it take to set up one of these systems so it is reliable?
I think I would be asking for trouble going for anything other than a mechanical design