PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Anti - features / load transfer

Twonius
10-08-2004, 07:51 AM
If anyone read the recent column in Racecar Engineering, Under "the consultant's" column he talks a little about lateral anti features. Besides buying the columnists $50 video where else can I get more information on this?

For those who choose to spend their cash a little more wisely than me, the article discussed how control arm angle in the front view can creat a lateral anti-feature. Similar to pitch - anti's in the side view.

one last thing, usually i would just go bust out the Carol Smith at this point, but its locked up in the trailer. Someone was saying that side anti features do not increase longtitudinal load transfer. Is this true? If it is, lateral antis seem like an interesting way of controling roll angle with less lateral load transfer. You'd still need an anti-roll bar to produce "axle" stiffness for response purposes, but it may not have to be as stiff.

-Anton
Purdue FSAE

Twonius
10-08-2004, 07:51 AM
If anyone read the recent column in Racecar Engineering, Under "the consultant's" column he talks a little about lateral anti features. Besides buying the columnists $50 video where else can I get more information on this?

For those who choose to spend their cash a little more wisely than me, the article discussed how control arm angle in the front view can creat a lateral anti-feature. Similar to pitch - anti's in the side view.

one last thing, usually i would just go bust out the Carol Smith at this point, but its locked up in the trailer. Someone was saying that side anti features do not increase longtitudinal load transfer. Is this true? If it is, lateral antis seem like an interesting way of controling roll angle with less lateral load transfer. You'd still need an anti-roll bar to produce "axle" stiffness for response purposes, but it may not have to be as stiff.

-Anton
Purdue FSAE

D J Yates
10-08-2004, 08:21 AM
I haven't read the column. The first issue of my subscription is yet to arrive.

I am of the understanding that the height of the roll center is an anti-lateral feature. Anti-pitch features affect the rotation (and hence weight transfer) of the sprung mass about an axis (SAE y-axis) of the car. The height of the roll center affects the rotation of the sprung mass about the SAE x-axis. If you raise the roll centers and therefore raise the roll axis, the rolling moment decreases resulting in a reduced roll angle for a given lateral acceleration and so a reduced lateral weight transfer; hence an anti-lateral feature.

I can't see any other way of controling lateral weight transfer than by using anti-roll (ARBs and RC height) features to control the roll angle