PDA

View Full Version : What to do with aero of FSae car?

Hesam
02-18-2006, 02:40 AM
what has anyone done as the process of designing?

Hesam
02-18-2006, 02:40 AM
what has anyone done as the process of designing?

pengulns2001
02-18-2006, 09:42 AM
ok this is getting pretty ridiculous lately, books and the search button are your friend

Nima
02-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Penguin,
your commentary was worthless.
Thank's.

pengulns2001
02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
no actually whats worthless is not doing your own research or learning anything. asking questions like you guys are can get you going the wrong direction fast. you leave yourself open to false information when the information you are looking for is readily available on how stuff work.com, google, yahoo, the search button, your library etc.

its kind of like asking why should i choose an engine?

i recall you telling someone to search on a topic FAR less well discussed than the topics you are posting then you dont expect an answer like this, and when you get one you get mad?

RiNaZ
02-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Hesam, i see a couple of guys from your university on the board here. Why dont you guys share the task of reading this whole forum. It's only 60 pages with about 30 topics in each. It might take a while to finish it, but at least you can find out what are the topics that had been discussed.

It could probably take you a while to understand the lingo that these guys used especially when english isnt your main language. But i found out that if you use your words right, even if you ask a stupid question, somebody will answer it. But to start off a thread by "what has anyone done with design process?" ... im pretty sure you're not going anywhere.

This forum is so easy to go thru now compare to when i first joined in. That was back 99 and we didnt have this nice forum and were using mailing list but i did go thru everything and finish about a week. Im sure you can finish everything on this forum in less time than that.

A better way of asking question or starting a thread is by letting everybody know what you have done on your research. Even if you only spent a week on it, just let everybody know what you know or what you think your team should be doing. And end your opinion and research with a question. This way, nobody would think that you're trying to get an easy answer.

So go ahead ... ask a better question ...

andyman61
02-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Start by reading, a lot of reading. A good starter book would be "Competition Car Downforce" by Simon McBeath (sp?). It's a good intro book, but very general in a lot of senses. If you get through that alright, pick up "Race Car Aerodynamics: Designing for Speed" by Joesph Katz. This book has a lot more technical information, charts, graphs, etc. It's more boring, IMO, though. There's also some SAE papers on the topic.

Talk to aero professors on your campus, I'm sure someone will be willing to help you. Pick some "safe" profiles that you know will work, make them, and put them on the car. If they improve performance, use them and develop them. If they don't, back to the drawing board. There's some free software out there to analyze profiles (javafoil is one I know is free, SNACK and DesignFOIL might cost money).

If you're serious about it, eventually you'll make your way to CFD. You should be able to get a couple free licenses if you tell them you're from a university design team.

An aero package is certainly something that you don't want to spend time on if you don't have the rest of your car well developed and you don't have a lot of human resource to devote to it.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but you need to ask something more specific than how to design an aero package. Good luck with it if you decide to pursue it!

Hesam
02-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Well
Lots of attak i saw ,but my friends you are totally wrong , i have studied "Race car aerodynamics" and " Race car design " and i have drawn the Frame model in Catia with wireframe and surface design and what i am doing know is to do the meshes in Gambit and then have the analysis of Cd Cl in fluent.

Thanks for yor friendly comments!!!...

Chris Allbee
02-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Well, that changes everything. Being as well versed as your are...maybe you could send me your aero design package, so I don't have to fuss with figuring out the details for myself?

pengulns2001
02-19-2006, 10:30 AM
if you have done all that why ask such a generic question, there must be something specific your wondering about

Hesam
02-20-2006, 03:41 AM
Well ,I wonder if the process i am following is what the others have done or not?

drivetrainUW-Platt
02-20-2006, 05:18 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=wing&Ntk=...target=egnsearch.asp (http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=wing&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=true&N=500&target=egnsearch.asp)

??