PDA

View Full Version : Steering Conversions...Help!

nathan s
04-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Do any of you guys have any experience with changing steering rack dimensions from standard to metric? I have huge NASA problems trying to figure this out http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

We found a rack gear that we really like, but the company that makes it. So, I am trying to adapt my design that is in standard.

Are there any tricks to this? Am I screwed and just need to make a new design? If I am, what are some prefered tooth dimensions?

Thanks

nathan s
04-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Do any of you guys have any experience with changing steering rack dimensions from standard to metric? I have huge NASA problems trying to figure this out http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif.

We found a rack gear that we really like, but the company that makes it. So, I am trying to adapt my design that is in standard.

Are there any tricks to this? Am I screwed and just need to make a new design? If I am, what are some prefered tooth dimensions?

Thanks

terra_dactile
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
hey nathan s
check out QTC website
quality transmission components they have tons of stock racks anb spur geras that could fit your needs, other wise i would stick with standard teeth configuration and find a gear cutting company to cut your teeth with a gear hobbing machine
hope this helps
Jude berthault
ETS Formula SAE
Montreal,Canada

nathan s
04-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Yeah, QTC is who I am looking at going to. The problem is fitting the metric gears into our setup because metric gears and their teeth are sized differently.

What is a good tooth number? Right now, we are using 20 teeth/inch.

Thanks,

terra_dactile
04-08-2005, 04:40 PM
hey nathan
check out the boston gear site they have some calculation manuals in pdf that might simplify your search. They have some formulas that will give you an idea what size of teeth you need to resist the loads of your system, other wise check out the machinery's handbook that is the bible for any thing to do with mechanics, good luck
JUDE