PDA

View Full Version : Master Switch Revisited

Fabrik8
04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I'll jump right in on this:

I want to use a single pole master switch, with the battery and regulator/rectifier connected together on the same side of the master switch. This sounds fairly common, although some of the posts I've read make this sound like it won't pass tech inspection, or it will but technically shouldn't. I've posed this question to the rules committee, and got some clarification and lots more ambiguous info.

So, my question is: Have any of you guys/girls FAILED tech inspection with a configuration like this, or know of any teams that have?

I don't see any reason to use a multi-pole master switch when using a reg/rect setup with no field wires. A single pole works great, kills the engine instantly, and seems to fit the spirit and letter of the rules perfectly.

Help me put these nagging doubts out of my head by sharing your personal experiences.

Fabrik8
04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I'll jump right in on this:

I want to use a single pole master switch, with the battery and regulator/rectifier connected together on the same side of the master switch. This sounds fairly common, although some of the posts I've read make this sound like it won't pass tech inspection, or it will but technically shouldn't. I've posed this question to the rules committee, and got some clarification and lots more ambiguous info.

So, my question is: Have any of you guys/girls FAILED tech inspection with a configuration like this, or know of any teams that have?

I don't see any reason to use a multi-pole master switch when using a reg/rect setup with no field wires. A single pole works great, kills the engine instantly, and seems to fit the spirit and letter of the rules perfectly.

Help me put these nagging doubts out of my head by sharing your personal experiences.

BStoney
04-20-2007, 04:10 AM
That certainly should and will pass tech IMHO. I have used a single pole master switch for 3-1/2 years running, and our program has for much longer than that. In the case of all three cars I have done all the wiring on, a single pole master has been used. It fits the intent and letter of the rules. Not really much to discuss here.

Additional Note: I do not run my charge wire there, as it is run directly back to the positive terminal of the battery.

Chris Boyden
04-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I used to think a single pole master switch with the with the battery and charge wire on the same node would be sufficient, until we were hassled by tech inspection every time we used it. It should completely isolate the battery and charging circuit from the rest of the car.

Fabrik8
04-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming...