PDA

View Full Version : Half Shaft Bending

BMV_Deutsch
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
First of all i'd like you to excuse my ignorance, as i'm about to ask a few simple questions.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following matters:

-How the CV joints create a bending moment on the Half Shaft and is this in anyway caused by the plunging of the Shaft?

-In terms of calculation, how do we go about computing this Bending Moment (M).

-I have come across numerous design equations (dynamic loading) for Half Shaft and they are somewhat slightly different to one another, I wonder what everyone's perspective on this.

I'm in the middle of designing a Half Shaft, if anyone could refer me to any useful sources of information that would be great. At the moment we're looking at the hollow steel ones.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

BMV_Deutsch
03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
First of all i'd like you to excuse my ignorance, as i'm about to ask a few simple questions.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following matters:

-How the CV joints create a bending moment on the Half Shaft and is this in anyway caused by the plunging of the Shaft?

-In terms of calculation, how do we go about computing this Bending Moment (M).

-I have come across numerous design equations (dynamic loading) for Half Shaft and they are somewhat slightly different to one another, I wonder what everyone's perspective on this.

I'm in the middle of designing a Half Shaft, if anyone could refer me to any useful sources of information that would be great. At the moment we're looking at the hollow steel ones.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

RollingCamel
03-12-2011, 10:34 PM
There shouldn't be bending load. And why design the shaft when you can just buy it especially that you seem from a 1st year team?

Xeilos
03-13-2011, 11:59 AM
There should be neglible bending loads comparatively to the torsional loading they see. This comment is for tripode joints, if you are using true CV joints, then I cannot speak as I have no experience in their use.

The tripode joints do run eccentric in the tulips themselves at any halfshaft angle greater than 0 degrees. They are not true CV joints in that sense as there will be a small velocity differential. The greater the angle the more eccentric and unless you have two CV joints exactly 'phased' so that they are eccentric together, you will have some form of bending.

You should not have an exactly zero degree half shaft angle anyway, if you do I would re-evaluate your design to put in a little.

RollingCamel
03-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Thnx for the correction.