PDA

View Full Version : longitudinally mounted engines

clausen
07-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I've just been looking through some pics of this years detroit event, and came across a number of cars with longitudinal engines.
Are all of these mated with custom transaxles? Are they bike engines with the box chopped off? I'm interested in any info anyone has about these cars.

clausen
07-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I've just been looking through some pics of this years detroit event, and came across a number of cars with longitudinal engines.
Are all of these mated with custom transaxles? Are they bike engines with the box chopped off? I'm interested in any info anyone has about these cars.

Igor
07-08-2004, 03:51 AM
Delft made one such car two years ago. It used the standard bike gearbox and a Suzuki diff if I remember correctly. The diff and its housing were extremely heavy though. Although lighter diffs might be found, we decided that for us it was not a good solution. It was only our second car and the decision was mainly based on "let's try something else this time".

Igor

MikeWaggoner at UW
07-08-2004, 07:50 AM
The WWU V8 was longitudinal (albeit with a few custom parts...), and it was done with a custom transmission (stock Honda F2 gears, a ring and pinion from some shaft drive bike). There are lotsa pictures of the tranny at dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae under the viking XXX (30) section in the photo galleries, and you can see how it was done on that car.