PDA

View Full Version : Fsae Adams Template-Question about brakes system

ILiasART
01-21-2009, 05:02 AM
I want to modify the braking system...but i dont know the meaning of some parameters variables like:
- max_brake_value
- brake_bias
- piston_area
If someone can tell me...ill be glad...

Regards!!!
ILias

ILiasART
01-21-2009, 05:02 AM
I want to modify the braking system...but i dont know the meaning of some parameters variables like:
- max_brake_value
- brake_bias
- piston_area
If someone can tell me...ill be glad...

Regards!!!
ILias

Drew Price
01-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Ilias,

Max brake value is probably the max force input at the pedal, what are it's units? If it's force, it's pedal input.

Brake bias is the percentage of the total braking force done by the front versus the back wheels, it's usually expressed as a percent. I.E. 70% bias means that the front wheels get 70% of the brake torque, the rear wheels 30%. Normal values can be anywhere from 55% to 70% depending on tires and front versus rear tire widths, weight transfer, track surface, etc.

Piston area is the surface area of the master cylinder or caliper piston. The ratio of the pistons gives the system hydraulic mechanical advantage, and combined with the pedal ratio gives the total mechanical advantage of the system and dictates how much clamping force is generated at the calipers.

It sounds like brakes might be new to you, so you will want to check out all these tech articles on the StopTech website, they're very good introductions to all the systems and parameters you need to take into account:

StopTech White Papers (http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml)

FYI, if you're designing the braking system rather than doing a full vehicle sim in ADAMS, it can be done much faster and easier in a simple spreadsheet, I think StopTech even has one posted on that page.

Good luck,
Best,
Drew

ILiasART
01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello...Well...max_brake_value has "no units" so its not force...Any other ideas?

Thanks!!!
ILias

DART-CG
01-21-2009, 04:23 PM
As far as I remember it was the value of the max brake performance achievable by the brake system in the range of 0 to 1 which is used when the system is told to fully apply the brakes.
Do you use Adams or Adams car? In my rememberance Adams car had a very good help file. Try to check this one

DART-CG
01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Another question is:
Why do you use Adams? Do you only want to optimize the brake system of your existing car? Or do you want to simulate the overall dynamics? In this case the given brake settings of the template should be good enough for 99% of all simulations if you don't plan to participate in F1. Try to concentrate on the really important goals you want to achieve with your simulation. If you don't want to simulate the suspension kinematics in the first way think about using a way more user friendly and faster simulation tool like CARSim etc...

Adams, like Ansys Classic for FE-sims, is a very mighty tool but has an unbelievably crappy useability and (in my mind) is only necessary if you plan to good deep into detail.

Asymmetric
01-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Sounds like they are talking about brake effectiveness (BEF) if they are giving it a range from 0 to 1.

ILiasART
01-22-2009, 06:57 AM
Well im new to Adams Car...
Im trying to input the whole car(our first car) for simulations to see the results and compare them with the real thing...and now im stuck with this parameter variable...It seems that you are right..
Im gonna check out my brakes charachteristics again...
Thanks!!!
ILias

apoorav1989
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
hello

The spreadsheet for brakes calculations which Drew Prince has mentioned in one of his posts.Where i can get that. Or if someone has one plz mail me at apoorav1989@gmial.com..

Thanks!!
apoorav

sangeet
09-25-2009, 04:16 AM
file:///D:/REPORT/Jake%20Latham's%202000%20Radical%20Prosport.html
we did our calculations using this link...
we got the values for front inline pressure.is it the value of pressure deployed from master cylinder outlet to the brake hose and does it get divided after the combination valve?

Silente
09-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Hi.

I would like to have some simulations in Adams/car.

Our Uni has an official MSC license, but we are not able to download the FSAE template for adams/car2005 r2.

Does anybody has this model and can give us a copy of it?

Thank you.

sangeet
10-06-2009, 02:25 AM
is dere ny way tht i can calculate the stopping distance if i know the specs of my master cylinder and caliper piston.

exFSAE
10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sangeet:
is dere ny way tht i can calculate the stopping distance if i know the specs of my master cylinder and caliper piston. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can start by typing like a normal human being and not in SMS language.

Iz dat clr 4 u 2 c?

You can move from there, to doing actual engineering instead of asking for hand-outs.

And short answer.. with just that information.. no. You cannot.

Whis
10-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I think the answer to your question is, how much are you willing to simplfy your problem... No, you can't do it with that information but with this you can...

Negate everything but tire friction. Mew on a okay track with slicks is about 1.2-1.3ish. Now, you know how many gees you can pull. If you have tire data, this is easy. Then simplify.

Or you can do what exFSAE says and think it through...