PDA

View Full Version : Radiator size

kapps
05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm in the process of designing the cooling system for our car next year. We will be running an NA Honda F4i engine. For those teams running this engine (or any 600cc for that matter), what size radiator are you using? Would the stock F4i radiator in a decently ducted pod work or is there a need for more cooling? Is there a standard core size that a radiator shop can use to make a radiator of proper size? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

kapps
05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I'm in the process of designing the cooling system for our car next year. We will be running an NA Honda F4i engine. For those teams running this engine (or any 600cc for that matter), what size radiator are you using? Would the stock F4i radiator in a decently ducted pod work or is there a need for more cooling? Is there a standard core size that a radiator shop can use to make a radiator of proper size? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

drivetrainUW-Platt
05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
There is a HUGE thread on radiator design, please search, I am pretty sure there is damn near everything you will need in that thread alone.

kapps
05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks. Actually, I've already read through that thread (a few times!). While there is some good info, most of the stuff related to radiator sizing is "we used this size and it works and then tried something a little smaller and it didn't work". Then another person says they used something even smaller than that and it worked fine.

It looks like the general concensus is that a single core unit is best and most teams are using radiators with a surface area around 140-150 sq inches. This size would include the stock f4i radiator.

Wesley
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Really, it all comes down to airflow.

The bike's radiator is more than capable of cooling an FSAE vehicle, because we're turning out less power than the bikes do. But, if you have to mount it in a flow-limited region, you won't get the same cooling.

I'm sure you know all this - but a little testing to see where your flow zones are can mean a huge difference. A handful of yarn tufts, some chicken wire and a decent size fan can even get you useable results on how and where to size your ducts, if you choose to locate the rad there.

I would say that equalling the stock radiator in fin density and area will allow you to cool your car - provided you can get equal airflow.

John Stimpson
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Our 2006 car, with an F4 making 64.3whp (measured at comp) stayed cool (cool enough, anyway) with a single 10x12x1 radiator, and a Spal fan with an upgraded motor.

This was in Cali on a 106ºF day. We came in from the endurance event at 220ºF. It was ok, but couldn't have done it forever, because it was steaming from the weep hole in the catch can.

The radiator was in a really lame duct.

kapps
05-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys, that gives me a good start.