PDA

View Full Version : Douglas 10" wheels

Kyle Roggenkamp
10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
We've got some 10" Douglas wheels on order, and will not receive them for another 2 weeks for whatever reason. We are working on designing the brake system, and are trying to figure out if we can run inboard brakes with these wheels. According to calcs, we'll be able to run inboard if the inner diameter is 7.5" or greater.

Does anyone know what the internal diameter of a Douglas wheel is? We've been trying to get a drawing from Douglas, but we aren't having luck. Help is appreciated.

Kyle Roggenkamp
10-21-2007, 07:20 PM
We've got some 10" Douglas wheels on order, and will not receive them for another 2 weeks for whatever reason. We are working on designing the brake system, and are trying to figure out if we can run inboard brakes with these wheels. According to calcs, we'll be able to run inboard if the inner diameter is 7.5" or greater.

Does anyone know what the internal diameter of a Douglas wheel is? We've been trying to get a drawing from Douglas, but we aren't having luck. Help is appreciated.

murpia
10-22-2007, 02:42 AM
You ordered your wheels without looking at a drawing first?

Mike Fandel
10-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Hi Kyle

Try HiPer Technology in Lawrence KS. Tell them who you are and what you need the info for(FSAE). They make aftermarket carbon fiber ATV wheels and are generally a helpfull group. Tell them Clancy Schmidt refered you. He's a friend of mine that lives down there and used to work for them.

Good luck
Mike

ben
10-22-2007, 08:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by murpia:
You ordered your wheels without looking at a drawing first? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same question here http://fsae.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Ben

flavorPacket
10-22-2007, 10:16 AM
ben and murpia, it's clear that you've never used 10" wheels before. There is certainly a different standard of 'engineering', so to speak...

Kyle, don't waste your time with douglas. they're heavy. Either try keizer or kodiak, or make your own. Plus, keizer will send you a dxf after a simple phone call.

BMH
10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Fandel:
Hi Kyle

Try HiPer Technology in Lawrence KS. Tell them who you are and what you need the info for(FSAE). They make aftermarket carbon fiber ATV wheels and are generally a helpfull group. Tell them Clancy Schmidt refered you. He's a friend of mine that lives down there and used to work for them.

Good luck
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much do these wheels weigh? How much do they cost? They might be an option.

Mike Fandel
10-23-2007, 05:56 AM
HiPer Technology, Inc.
2920 Haskell Ave., Suite 300
Lawrence, KS 66046

hiperracingwheels.com

Sales: Call Toll-Free
877.GO.HIPER (877.464.4737)

Give'em a call. Second hand info is almost as worthless as forum opinions.

BMH
10-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Well I was hoping they made a 13" wheel but I do not see any on there. Does anyone know where I can find 13" wheels that weigh about 8 lbs or so each? Thanks!

ben
10-29-2007, 10:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flavorPacket:
ben and murpia, it's clear that you've never used 10" wheels before. There is certainly a different standard of 'engineering', so to speak...

Kyle, don't waste your time with douglas. they're heavy. Either try keizer or kodiak, or make your own. Plus, keizer will send you a dxf after a simple phone call. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether they're a "different standard of engineering" or not is irrelevant to the fact that it's dodgy ordering components befoere determining if they fit your packaging requirements.

Ben

Kyle Roggenkamp
10-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, I guess I wasn't looking for people to critique our teams decision making process, or tell us things we already know about products that we have decided against due to design and budget constraints, I thought I would let people know that my request was fulfilled.

I should also clarify that we were given approximate dimensions of the wheel and with these dimensions, were able to determine that the wheels would meet our packaging requirements. With that said, we have a few different choices on rotor diameters. Which diameter we choose (which is dependant upon the specific internal diameter of the wheel) will affect which master cylinder we will use and what pedal ratio we will choose to run to supply the proper pressure to the caliper we will run.

Big Bird
10-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I'd certainly agree that it is best to have all the necessary info at hand before you make your design decisions, and in a perfect world our team would have liked to have fully dimensioned engineering drawings of our Douglases before we used them. But sometimes things don't work out as you want them to, and a good engineer (or should I say practical problem solver) is one who can make decisions and move onwards even when all the little ducks aren't lined up in a row.

We sourced some rough dimensions, applied a clearance margin, and then started designing. Sure, we had to wait until the wheels arrived before we fully finalized our designs, but we were further ahead than we would have been if we had waited for fully accurate drawings.

As for the critiques about choice of wheels, well I'll say that the Douglases are just fine. We did 7 comps on them (Oz '03 to California '06), and they performed their function perfectly well. Cheap, durable and certainly light enough. Don't sweat over the techno-junkies Kyle, just lock your choice in and move onwards.

Cheers