PDA

View Full Version : Damper velocity \ wheel vertical velocity

Ofir Hajaj
01-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Hello, I'm trying to find a damper velocity for our car. If I knew the wheel vertical velocity then I could calculate it (by multiplying it by the Installation Ratio).
But I couldn't find any discussion about that subject. All the discussions I found talks about the Velocity Histogram but none of them says how to find the wheel/damper velocity.
Can someone give me an average wheel vertical velocity or maybe offer a different approach to deal with it?

Ofir Hajaj
01-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Hello, I'm trying to find a damper velocity for our car. If I knew the wheel vertical velocity then I could calculate it (by multiplying it by the Installation Ratio).
But I couldn't find any discussion about that subject. All the discussions I found talks about the Velocity Histogram but none of them says how to find the wheel/damper velocity.
Can someone give me an average wheel vertical velocity or maybe offer a different approach to deal with it?

Dash
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
How fast are you going to be traveling? How big of a bump are you going to hit? Knowing those two things could get you a pretty reasonable answer.

Ofir Hajaj
01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
I thought about that. but I didn't know the bumps heights across the track. I guess bumps/ drops up to 50 mm at speed of 90 km/h will be reasonable figures to start calculate.
What do you think?

DMuusers
01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a plan. But how do you know your installation ratio?

Ofir Hajaj
01-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I all ready got a pull rod and bell crank (rocker) design .I have figured out all the geometry around it and I can configure the bell crank to the ratio that I need.

by the way, thanks for the quick response

exFSAE
01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Damper velocity isn't a number. It's a range.. a distribution. I'd say as a rule of thumb, low speed (1-2 in/s) dominated by driver inputs and roll, pitch, etc... and high speed (2+ in/s) dominated by road inputs.