PDA

View Full Version : CBR600RR with Performance electronic ECU

Math ze engineer
09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi guys
We tried to start our engine with our new ecu. The package came with a trigger wheel "for honda 600cc engines" but it's way far from fitting on the original one. To get past this problem, we cut a teeth on the original trigger wheel (it has same amount of teeth but has no missing one to detect TDC. The spark plugs are connected in banks (1 with 3 and 2 with 4). the injectors are in banks too (1 with 4 and 2 with 3) the fuel has its normal pressure (40 psi), injectors works, spark plug works but the engine doesnt want to start. Anyone is using PE ECU with a CBR600RR and can tell me if we did it wrong?

thank you
Math

Math ze engineer
09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi guys
We tried to start our engine with our new ecu. The package came with a trigger wheel "for honda 600cc engines" but it's way far from fitting on the original one. To get past this problem, we cut a teeth on the original trigger wheel (it has same amount of teeth but has no missing one to detect TDC. The spark plugs are connected in banks (1 with 3 and 2 with 4). the injectors are in banks too (1 with 4 and 2 with 3) the fuel has its normal pressure (40 psi), injectors works, spark plug works but the engine doesnt want to start. Anyone is using PE ECU with a CBR600RR and can tell me if we did it wrong?

thank you
Math

Mike Macie
09-17-2008, 08:37 PM
I would check to make sure the reference angle for TDC is correct. What really helps is if you have a good oscilloscope that has multiple channels and can screen capture/record. Then you can check all your signals with respect to the crank signal to ensure everything is happening when it should.

This is what i found on the PE site
"The stock Honda trigger wheel cannot be used with the PE-ECU-1 system due to the
differences in the number and spacing of the teeth."

I would call them

Math ze engineer
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I am aware of that, we checked in the manual and cut the right tooth. I know the F3 and F4 have different number of teeth (like 24 or 36) but the RR has 12 teeth just like the one shipped with the ecu.

rtrt
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I believe that the shape and relative position of the teeth may not be correct. Are you getting a steady RPM reading?

Also, I have not been able to get Performance Engineering to answer the phone recently. Anyone else having trouble?

Superfast Matt McCoy
09-18-2008, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Math ze engineer:
The spark plugs are connected in banks (1 with 3 and 2 with 4).
Math </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is supposed to be 1&4 and 2&3?

Faterooski
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Like Mr. Superfast, I think your injector banks should be the same as your coil banks (1&4 , 2&3). That seemed odd immediately to me, too. Is it running/starting at all? If it starts/runs, but badly, then I'd say you have the banks mixed up and are only getting correctly timed spark on 2 of your 4 cylinders. If it won't start at all, I'd look at your trigger wheel. Speaking of which, what exactly did you do to the trigger wheel? If you are using theirs, have the air gap between wheel/sensor correct, and have the missing tooth set to TDC, that shouldn't be your problem. If you cut a tooth off of yours but it still has the same # of teeth as the PE wheel, I'd think that would cause some problems. I didn't set up the trigger wheel on our Yamaha, but is there a setting where you can change the # of teeth in the software? Or does PE specify a number of teeth that the trigger HAS to have in order to function? PE experts feel free to chime in if I'm off on this one.

By the way, the installation manual is at http://www.pe-ltd.com/Downloads/PE-ECU-1_Manual_vI.pdf. Also, I'd call the customer support number and have Brian fix you up much faster than someone guessing on here can.

Grant Mahler
09-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Based off a post by exFSAE where he indicates the firing order is 1-2-4-3 for both fuel and spark, I would agree with Matt that the fuel and spark plugs should both be wired/plumbed the same way. i.e. 1&4 should be paired, 2&3 should be paired.